Wednesday 24 September 2008

A day on the fly for salmon

i am going to spend the day trying out using my pike rod which holds a nine weight line and is 9-6in in size for and salmon left in the lower reaches of the kelvin up to as far as the Great Western road bridge and just maybe a little further up to check one or two pools out but I'm sure the water will be starting to get lower again as their has been no real rain for a few days and although i would prefer the water a little higher i am also quite excited about trying new conditions etc!! as i may just find parts of the river that fish well in lower water conditions and even though I've not had a salmon in three weeks I'm pretty sure I've as good a chance as any other time I've been out as their will be fish holding up in certain area's and that can make for good fishing if you can get the cast right, so where will i start ,of course it will be at the extreme reaches of the lower river right down at the long wall that stretches for a few hundred yards behind Yorkhill hospital and does hold allot of fish at times when their is low water so that's a must try ,oh god telling my secrets I'm going to be regretting this next season as i know a few of my tactics have paid off for a few people this year and I'm happy for them .and so I'm off to the river its 13.42 and times running out as you know its getting dark nearly 10 minutes early each couple of days so I'm going to get in as much fishing as i can before the season end creeps up ,will let you people know how i got on tonight OK ,and wish me well .............

#FUDK as you see i did not enter any further notes last night as it turned out to be another fruitless day on the river for me but that fishing ain't it and today i may even just give the browns a go as I've been neglecting them of late with all those big fish in the river i like to call it silver blindness as i do this each year and miss out on some great trout fishing no doubt ,i just cant make up my mind what rod to take as i can take my 9 half ft scierra rod which hold up to a 7 weight which i can also use for grilse if i spot any or my 8ft diawa which is a soft action and very nice with it but more a dry fly rod and i like to get down a little from time to time in the deeper pools with nymphs and wets so its another day of dilemma so I'm just taking my scierra as it covers more options but i just remembered it has a make shift ring job done on one of the lower rings and i need to strip it tonight and do it right now i have epoxy resin at hand what i really need is a new 6-7 weight reel and with spare spools about 3 would be nice as i have a floating a inter and a sinking for a reel that size but i must say the floater and inter are in need of re-placement soon for next season probably so that's more money ,but i never seem to mind spending money on new gear ,and if only the bills could be dropped then i would get some more new things he-he-he so onto the river and I'm going to wish myself good luck ,oh and anyone still reading this thing please let me know as sometimes without comments i feel I'm being silly just writing for myself although it is a great year diary to look back on....

No comments: